Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Why Mulberry Junction?

In the early days of Utah History, pioneer women took on many projects that helped them toward being more self-reliant clear out here in the west. One of the projects assigned to them, more-or-less, was that of spinning silk. In order to spin silk, they had to have silk. They acquired this by growing silk worms. But in order to grow silk worms they had to have mulberry trees.

In the end, the silk project was overtaken by other things and the women were grateful to let it go.

I find this story fascinating, mostly because I am so fascinated with spinning already. I will probably never grow my own silk worms. But you never know. I do love creating the unusual, whether it is soap or angora yarn.

Whether I do ever decide to raise silk, I love the idea of mulberry trees. And so I've named the blog, My Mulberry Junction. This is a place to explore creating the basic to the unusual. I'm excited to post ideas, personal projects, patterns and instructions.

Should be an adventure.

Remember to join us at My Mulberry Junction.

 

2 comments:

  1. When we lived at Fairchild, AFB in Washington there was a Mulberry tree down the street from us. I loved the sweet juicy fruit, and the fragrance of it. The birds seemed to love the berries as well.
    You've done spinning already? How fun! Spinning silk is intriguing, but I think you have more patience than I. :-) Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I love spinning. I am only working on a drop spindle though. I'd love to own a spinning wheel. I've just harvested my first handful of angora wool from my sweet english angora rabbit, Alfred. I'll have to post a picture of him here.

    ReplyDelete