Friday, October 19, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan


While looking at links from the Sugar & Spice Link party I came across a recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan. I thought it the perfect idea for dinner, but with some personal changes. I have my own marinara sauce that the family adores. It's one of the recipes both of my daughters who are now away from home have asked for. But I wanted to cook it before I added it to the chicken. Here is what I came up with.

I happen to own two large crockpots. So I made the marinara sauce in one as follows. (This is a big batch!)

3 quarts tomatoes
3 small onions
3 small peppers
1 t. basil
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
7 bay leaves ( I know that sounds like alot, but we like it that way.)
2 T. vegetable oil
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper


I throw it all into the crockpot and let it cook for hours until we are ready for dinner. Sometimes I add ground beef, or meat balls. Other times I start with chicken breasts cooking in the crockpot and add these ingredients for Chicken Cacciatore. Today I will cook the chicken for awhile in a separate crockpot and then add the sauce when I'm ready.


However, I did one other thing different today. I have some grated zucchini in the fridge, so I threw a couple handfuls of that into the sauce.

I cooked the chicken as follows.

6 slices bread ends (I save the ends of the loaf and keep them in the freezer for this purpose.)

Blend until crumbs.

Add:
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 T. basil
1 t. oregano

Mix this together.
Mix an egg for every chicken breast in a separate bowl. I did six.



Dip each chicken in egg and then the bread crumb mix. I re-dipped in the eggs and the bread crumbs so it would give it an extra coating.
Add 1 T. vegetable oil to the crockpot and lay the chicken into the crockpot.

After about three hours, layer mozzarella cheese over the chicken breasts. Add the marinara sauce from the other crockpot.

If you don't have two crockpots, you could easily cook the marinara sauce on the stove and then add it to the crockpot.

Serve over pasta.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment